Happy Birthday José!!!! The singer's career in 10 dates!!!
Photo edited by Co Rnz
Today, José Hoebee celebrates her birthday! In Dutch we say: Hartelijk Gefeliciteerd met je Verjaardag!!!
To celebrate José's amazing life, here are ten important dates in her career:
* September 2nd, 1978: "You're the Greatest Lover" by Luv' hit the number one spot in the Netherlands. It later sold one million copies worldwide and charted in a dozen countries.
* December 16th, 1978: Luv' had their second #1 hit with "Trojan Horse". It was also a million-seller thanks to its strong presence on the hit parades of 16 territories.
* December 31st, 1979: Luv' received the Conamus Export Prize for being the "Best Selling Dutch Act of 1979" thanks to their success in Continental Europe (Benelux, German-speaking countries, France, Spain, Denmark, Norway and Finland) as well as Israel, South Africa, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Argentina and Mexico. Between 1978 and 1980, the trio collected 14 gold and platinum records. They eventually sold 7 million records worldwide.
* July 3rd, 1982: José scored a solo #1 hit with the cover version of Peggy March's "I Will Follow Him". She was the first female singer who had #1 hits on the Dutch Top 40 as a group member and as a solo artist. Diana Ross (of The Supremes), Yvonne Keeley (of the Star Sisters), Melanie C (of the Spice Girls), Sita (of K-Otic) and Beyoncé (of Destiny's Child) later established the same record.
* February 18th, 1984: "So Long, Marianne", a cover version of a Leonard Cohen classic performed with Ron Brandsteder, entered the Dutch charts. It later peaked at #11 on Holland's Top 40 and #6 on the Nationale Hitparade (currently Single Top 100) in the Netherlands. It also reached the 20th position on the Flemish BRT Top 30 and the 30th position on the Ultratop in Flanders (Belgium).
* August 3rd, 1985: "Zoals Vrienden Doen", a single in duet with Bonnie St. Claire, entered the Dutch charts and later became a Top 40 hit. This song is a cover version of ABBA's "The Way Old Friends Do", produced by Will Hoebee. It's the most iconic track of the "Bonnie & José" duo.
* April 26th, 1993: Luv' reunited to give a memorable show at the legendary "It Club" in Amsterdam to launch their "Gold" compilation.
* May 26th, 27th and 28th 2006: The Luv' ladies took part in "De Toppers" mega shows with Bobby Farrell (of Boney M.) at the Amsterdam ArenA.
* March 16th, 2011: José and American singer Peggy March re-recorded "I Will Follow Him". A unique collaboration between the legend who initially performed this world hit in 1963 and Miss Hoebee, who covered it 19 years later. The duet appeared as a bonus track on the 2012 edition of Peggy's "Always and Forever" album.
* November 20th, 2020: the independent label CD-Licious reissued the Herinnering album by Bonnie & José on CD and DVD thanks to a crowdfunding campaign. The 2020 edition of this CD included bonus tracks in addition to the original track listing. The DVD contained the "Bonnie en José in Zweden" TV special and bonus videos.
Source: Luv' and José Hoebee weblogs (archives)